Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Thoughts about war, Peace Corps

I estimate, conservatively, that I am a week away from submitting my Peace Corps application and beginning that process. I think talking about this war with friends and with strangers made me consider my values like I never had before, and it made me realize how many values I didn't act on. I remember telling Emily at one point, "But everyone lives their values every day, whether it's conscious or not." I reflected on my day-to-day existence and realized that my values were on the side of what was easy, or convenient for me, more often than I thought about what the impact would be on other people. I have reduced the amount of driving I do in order to reduce my carbon emissions (and hopefully alleviate global warming). I'm saving some money now, too. Ultimately I also realized that I couldn't stand by while children and their families all over the world lacked the means to a secure life and future. And I started to look into the Peace Corps. Ultimately, I decided to apply before Christmas, and have been working on my application since. Thinking about leaving my family and friends for two years is scary, but I know it's worth it for what I will do AND will get from it. I believe I'm able to contribute to the welfare of people who don't have access to the information, resources, education, or technology that I take for granted in the United States. I'm also looking forward to being a representative of the Unites States abroad, to talking about the rights I enjoy here and how I exercise them.

3 comments:

Some Soldier's Mom said...

have you considered AmeriCorps and serving your country at home? good work with good people domestically.

http://www.americorps.org/about/ac/index.asp

Margaret said...

I have considered AmeriCorps, but it's too close to volunteer work I've already done! I am also really looking forward to experiencing another culture, learning a new language, and learning more about the world.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is quiet a without question as you did in the downgrade delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=creative recreation cesario black patent ?
I noticed the phrase you procure not used. Or you profit by the dark methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg