Sunday, February 11, 2007

Relationships in a Time of War

As Margaret and I start to revise the script and interview some of the women we've talked to, I'm struck by how much relationships change. As husbands and boyfriends come back from the war, it seems like many relationships can't withstand the strain. It seems to be one of the recurring issues.

I know that's how many long distance relationships are. When I was far apart from my now husband, we'd be uncertain that we could both grow and change and then come back together and have a similar relationship to the one we had. But we had the benefit of communication. And I had no worries that he might be wounded or killed. I guess I wonder if there becomes a point when separate experiences can no longer be bridged. You may want to share everything that you can with your partner, but can war experiences really be shared? And can they really be understood?

No comments: